"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in
its net of wonder forever."—Jacques Cousteau

April 25, 2016

April 24 - Charleston, SC

Maritime Center Marina

“The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see.” —G.K. Chesterton

There is a little know walkway in Charleston, called the Gateway Walk. It hat connects the Unitarian Church and St. John's Lutheran Church, located along Archdale Street to the Circular Congregational Church on Meeting and St. Philips Episcopal on Church Street. It’s situated in the historic heart of Charleston and yet off the beaten path, Gateway Walk provides a break from the busy main streets as it meanders through old graveyards and secluded gardens, much of the way is in the quiet shade of moss draped live oaks.

The walk was the first civic project of the Garden Club of Charleston and opened on April 10, 1930 to celebration of the 250th anniversary of the founding of Charleston. Gateway Walk is one of Charleston's best hidden treasures and very pretty on such a nice spring day.

St. John's Lutheran Church - Established in 1742
The Unitarian Church - the oldest Unitarian church in the South
Part of the cemetery at the The Unitarian Church 
The Gateway Walk between the The Unitarian Church and Charleston Library Society 
Circular Congregational Church and Parish House - Organized in 1681, it is one of the oldest continuously worshiping congregations in the South 
A view of St. Phillips from the Circular Congregational Church Cemetery 
Head stones in the Circular Congregational Church Cemetery - these are from the mid 1700s 
Head stones in the St. Philip's Episcopal Church. John C. Calhoun is buried in this cemetery. 
Thanks for reading our blog and spending part of your day with us. The Pearl is also on Facebook - stop by and say hi or follow us on Google+.

No comments:

Post a Comment