"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in
its net of wonder forever."—Jacques Cousteau

Nov. 2 – Totally Out of Florida

“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.” – C.S. Lewis

We finally have our car back in Texas. It’s been sitting at Ortega River Marina for almost seven months. I drove Stan to the airport in Houston on Saturday and he caught a late flight to Jacksonville. He arrived about 9:45 eastern time and took Uber to the marina. The car was in great shape and started quickly, so he thought he'd drive west just a little before stopping for the night. Fate had other plans...he couldn't find a hotel room anywhere from Jacksonville to Pensacola. Every room was full, it seems Florida State University played in Tallahassee on Saturday and everywhere was packed.

After dropping Stan off I drove to my brother's house in Sugar Land. I spent the evening and most Sunday catching up with my sister in law and nieces, and had a chance to play with my great nephew…we had a wonderful time. Paula and I didn't go to bed until after three. I kept in touch with Stan during the night and knew he had decided to drive straight through. What else can you do when you can’t find a room?

By the time I got up Sunday morning Stan was in Baton Rouge and I knew he would beat me home. We left our house around 2:00 on Saturday and Stan was home by 2:30 Sunday...875 miles by air and 1135 miles by car. After more than 2 ½ years…we are finally and completely out of Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment